Specifications for PermaBrick Panel System
Note: This file is also available for download.
Click HERE to go to our download page.
Part 1 - General:
- Prefabricated fiber cement brick panel on cmu, metal or wood framed walls.
- Product data sheet and installation instructions.
1.03 LIMITED WARRANTY:
- Permabrick panels are warranted to be free of defects in manufacturer's workmanship for a period of 25 years from date of installation excluding, field workmanship, structure movement, abuse, acts of God, and other causes beyond manufacture's control.
Part 2 - Products:
2.01 Brick panel:
- Trade name: Permabrick Panels.
Indiana Brick Panels Inc.
23702 Parrish Ave P.O. box 312
Schneider, IN. 46376
- Prefabricated panels:
- 16" x 48" running, stack, bond and soldier course.
- Approximate weight of panels is 7 lb. per square foot.
2.02 Panel materials:
- 2 ¼" x 7 5/8" x ½" brick slabs.
- ASTM C1088-94, grade SW, type TBS, TBA, or TBX.
- Special shapes, trim pieces, corners, and brick slabs
- Backer board: Cellulose cement fiber. ASTM C1185, ASTM E-136, ASTM E-84.
- 10" x 48" backer board cut to fit at building corners for installation of L' brick.
- Adhesive: SB400 for metals, stone, and tile. ASTM C557-63.
- 1 ½ to 2 ½ parts Portland type S or N cement with silica sand field mix.
- Panel brick K-1 mortar mix made by Gibraltar.
- Tapcons 3/16" dia. 1 ¾" long or min. 1" penetration into wall.
- # 6 deck screws 1 5/8" long or min. 1 ¼" penetration into studs.
- Galvanized annular ring nails, min. 1 ¼" penetration into studs.
- # 6 metal screws, self tapping, self-drilling cadmium plated.
2.04 STARTER FLASHING:
- Aluminum or galvanized L' channel ¾" x 3" for bottom finishing.
Part 3 INSTALLATION:
- Verify that substrate is sound, smooth and without projections. Repair as necessary.
- Moisture barrier such as TYVEK must be installed to all areas being covered.
- Panel layout:
- Establish bottom of lowest panel course, mark level line at this point.
- Panels may be started 1" above grade.
- Start panels min. 2" above concrete or asphalt.
- Expansion joint must be install when concrete is poured against panel.
- Measure up from this line 16" and snap line for top of panel.
- Install starter flashing on bottom line.
3.02 BRICK PANEL INSTALLATION:
- Install brick panels in accordance with manufacture's installation instructions.
- Begin installation at outside corner of building.
- Building corners must be nailed properly to restrict twisting and warping to eliminate
pressure on corner or L' brick.
- When using L' brick install filler boards cut 4 7/8" wide at corner.
- When L' brick are not used, cut panel on 8" dimension, install cut end to corner trim.
- Fasten panel at corner and pull other end out from wall and interlock next panel.
- Level to snap lines and adjust head joints where panels meet.
- Fasten first panel on studs at 16" centers and every other horizontal joint.
- Pull second panel from wall and interlock with third panel.
- Level second as first and fasten.
- Continue to end of wall placing a total of 12 fasteners to each panel.
- When both corners are wrapped with L' brick, stop at doorway or window
work back from other corner and install zipper brick.
- Inside corner cut panel 3/8" short of wall and seal.
- Windows and doors cut panel 3/8" short of unit and seal.
- Corner or L' brick and brick slab installation.
- Place ½" bead of adhesive to back of L' brick, set it in line with horizontal
row of brick. Tack 3 nails under brick to hold in place till adhesive has set.
- Remove bad or broken brick from wall with claw hammer or chisel.
- Place ½" bead of adhesive to back of slab and set it in line with horizontal row of brick. Tack 2 nails under slab to hold in place till adhesive has set.
- Do not leave adhesive set more than 10 minutes before applying brick.
3.03 CONTROL JOINTS:
- Horizontal control joints are to be placed every floor level on wood frame structures.
- Installation of drywall to prior to installing brick panels will reduce settling.
- Top panel is to be trimmed to brick and bottom of next row of panel at joist.
- Space panels ½" between brick and seal.
- Vertical expansion joints are to be placed in walls at 40' increments or where indicated.
- Joint is to be cut through brick and backer board 3/8"wide and sealed.
- Panel brick grout or K-1 should mixed in accordance with mixing instructions on bag.
- Field mortar mix should be thoroughly mix with water to a smooth consistency.
- Place grout in 24" pastry bag with #4 metal tip and fill joints. Avoid spaces.
- Tool joints when grout has become firm with a 1" dia. round jointer.
- Clean brick with mason or stiff bristle brush when grout becomes stiff, using diagonal strokes.
- Use appropriate cleaning solution 24 to 72 hours after grouting.